Pie Baking Contest
Calling All Pie Bakers!
Once again, this year’s Art on the Avenue will feature the annual Pie-Baking Contest! The Homemade Pies will be on display starting at noon across from the Festival Store (between Del Ray and Oxford Avenues). Judging begins at 12:15 p.m and sales will kick off around 1 pm. Prizes will be awarded in two divisions – youth (17 and under) and adults! See if your culinary skills are prize worthy, or just come out and buy a slice for a great cause.
Meet the judges!
- Bobi Bomar of Homes of Alexandria, Del Ray resident, realtor and long-time Pie Contest Sponsor
- Dana Lawhorne Alexandria’s Sheriff and esteemed Art on the Avenue pie judge
- Nora Partlow founder and recently retired owner of St. Elmo’s Coffee Pub in the heart of Del Ray
After judging, pies will be available for $3 a slice with all proceeds benefiting our friend and neighbor Mary Karstens as she fights cancer.
Our “Pie Partner” sponsor again this year is Bobi Bomar of Homes of Alexandria. She is a Del Ray real estate expert, resident & community philanthropist. Talk to agents who understand you are as unique as Del Ray. Bobi and her team bring you:
- unmatched neighborhood insights
- intellectual capital multiplied by old-fashioned work ethic
- advanced negotiation expertise for your best outcome
Thinking of buying or selling? Think Homes of Alexandria — Del Ray Real Estate Done Right! Contact them today. www.homesofalexandria.com
So plan to enter the contest and start working on your recipe now! You could win prizes plus neighborhood bragging rights!
Mary Karstens is our friend, neighbor and tireless Del Ray volunteer and was recently diagnosed with cancer. Mary moved to Del Ray in 2003 and began volunteering very shortly thereafter. So much work goes on behind the scenes for all of the events in Del Ray, including Art on the Avenue, and Mary is a constant fixture. This year we’re using the Pie Contest as an opportunity to help offer her financial support for living expenses during her cancer treatments.